This brief video will give you an overview of the SST course.
The Safe Sedation Training (SST)® training course provides moderate sedation training that is:
- Scientifically grounded
- Mastery assessed
- Captivating to the learner
- Consistent with practice guidelines
- Endorsed by the International Society for Anaesthetic Pharmacology
SST is focused on the knowledge base supporting moderate sedation practice in adult patients and techniques for:
- Identifying a high-risk patient
- Differentiating deep sedation from moderate sedation assessing the patient for responsiveness, airway adequacy, ventilation, oxygenation and circulation
- Monitoring effectively (including capnography)
- Rescuing a patient from deeper-than-intended sedation
- Titrating sedatives and analgesics based on pharmacologic characteristics
- Administering propofol with Computer-Assisted Personalized Sedation (CAPS) systems (offered only to users that need CAPS training).
SST is intended to provide part of the basis for a standardized institutional privileging process.
SST is NOT intended as training for:
- Deep Sedation or General Anesthesia (except the management of rescue from these states)
- Propofol use without the safeguards of Computer Assisted Personalized Sedation (CAPS)
- Pediatric procedural sedation
- Resuscitation as taught in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (i.e., ACLS) courses
- A specific discipline (NOT specialty specific)